by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Panpa Bulletin : Oct-Nov-December 2007
the Barclays' newspaper and printing business within a fortnight of the move from Wilmington to Port Augusta 1914 and became the publishers from the third issue of the Transcontinental. The Transcontinental declared that it was the "only Federal newspaper in the Commonwealth"; the Commonwealth Government was at that time buying large areas of land and many homes in Port Augusta for the advent of the Trans Australian railway. This was an unusual newspaper propri- etary. Both partners were still employees of the opposition paper, the Port Augusta Dispatch: Hill was the printer and Edwards was a journalist. The Dispatch sacked Edwards immediately the new title ap- peared, but kept on Hill, whose work was less dispensable, for a few weeks until a new printer was obtained. Faced with this competition, the Dispatch jumped up to bi-weekly issue from May 5, 1915, but maintained that for only five weeks. It reverted to weekly issue from une 18, 1915. The Dispatch was well below the quality f the Drysdale years, but it did improve a ttle again when Drysdale, based in Port Lincoln, bought the paper again from October 8, 1915. Three months later he sold he paper to Emrys George Rhys-Jones and ydney Dew. Rhys-Jones became the sole roprietor from February 11, 1916. The paper ceased publication on April 1, 1916, a week after acknowledging that he question of newspaper supplies was ecoming "a very pressing one" for country newspaper proprietors. The price of paper had risen by 166 per cent. The Transcontinental absorbed the North Western Star, Wilmington, on August 0, 1917, upon shifting to a broadsheet ormat, made possible by the installation f a Reliance Wharfedale flatbed press. On une 30, 1927, Hill and Edwards sold the Transcontinental to Lindsay Gordon Riches 1904-1972). Hill moved to Port Lincoln to es- ablish the Port Lincoln Times with Edwards, journalist at the Adelaide News, continuing s his non-active business partner. Riches was elected to Parliament in 1933, but continued to own the Transcontinental. He served in Parliament until 1970 and was the Speaker from 1965-68 during the Labor Government's term of office. He was mayor of Port Augusta for 34 years. From September 23, 1938, the Transcontinental carried a single-sheet "Whyalla News" insert. From the second issue, this insert stated that it was "Whyalla's own newspaper" and was circulating "ex- tensively throughout the most progressive industrial area in the country districts of South Australia". From April 26, 1940, the insert no longer appeared because a separate company had been set up to publish the Whyalla News as a full newspaper and its first issue had appeared three weeks earlier -- on April 5. Edwards, a former partner in the Transcontinental, formed a partnership with Walter John Cumming Willson, a Whyalla printer, and they published the Whyalla News, but for the first 15 months it was printed at Port Augusta. Back to Port Augusta: Riches sold part of his 100 per cent interest in the Transcontinental in April 1951 to Edwards, and the paper changed from broadsheet to tabloid format. F.N. Higginson and M.R. Hill were admitted to the partnership in August 1954. From October 19, 1956, the Transcontinental, now printed on the press at the Port Pirie Recorder, incorporated the Quorn Mercury (established 1895). By this time, J.E. Edwards and his wife had died and their majority interest in the Transcontinental had passed to sons Ray (managing editor) and David. In May 1968 the partnership between the two Edwardses, Riches, Higginson and Hill was wound up, and Transcontinental Newspapers Pty Ltd was formed, with Ray Edwards as the prin- cipal. A separate firm, Gulf Printers Pty Ltd, was established to operate the commercial printing venture. The Transcontinental and the Recorder were printed web-offset at Port Pirie from June 4, 1970. In 1971 the Port Augusta and Port Pirie newspaper companies formed a new company to produce a district newspaper for the two towns, the Northern Observer. It was published tri-weekly from July 7, 1971, until August 30, 1971, replacing the Transcontinental and the Port Pirie Recorder. (See PANPA Bulletin, August 2004, pp.58-59.) The separate Port Augusta and Port Pirie titles resumed and Ray Edwards sold the papers on October 3, 1971, to the Willson family. The Willsons, who already owned the Whyalla News and the Eyre Peninsula Tribune, remained in control of the Recorder until 1991, firstly through Northern Newspapers Pty Ltd and secondly, from 1985, the publicly listed S.A. Regional Media Limited. Rural Press Ltd bought the com- pany's interests and the Transcontinental is printed at Whyalla. CONNECT Rod Kirkpatrick Journalism educator, newspaper historian, and editor of the Australian Newspaper History Group Newsletter. email@example.com * Rod Kirkpatrick acknowledges the assistance of Anthony Laubé of the State Library of South Australia in the research for this article. as Transcontinental chugs on history PANPA Bulletin October-November-December 2007 39 A collection of di erent mastheads of the Transcontinental, Port Augusta: 1914, 1919, 1935, 1951, 2007 --- Source: State Library of South Australia
August September 2007