by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Panpa Bulletin : February 2007
PANPA Bulletin February 2007 37 HISTORY Printery into the business of song books, describing the company as “Music and art printers and publishers”. In September 1926, Trenerry sold the Manly Daily to a company called The Manly Daily Ltd, with Richard Musgrave as general manager. The largest shareholder was Mar- garet McDonald, widow of a former partner of Trenerry. Trenerry’s son, Bill, remained with the paper as chief linotype operator until his retirement in 1968 after 51 years’ service. The Manly Daily offces moved twice in the 1920s, with the bigger move being in 1928 to Sydney Road where the presses were housed in the basement to reduce noise. In 1929, another press was installed to allow the production of 16-page newspapers. The new owners introduced the Manly Daily Pictorial on Tuesdays, with a wraparound of high quality paper, to support the reproduction of up to 20 photographs. There was a diffcult time in the 1940s as World War II sent newsprint prices soaring and supplies falling. In the 1950s the distribution of The Daily reached 20,000 as the motoring and real estate advertising grew rapidly. Saturday’s edition often ran to 40 pages. In 1957, The Daily's buildings at 26 Sydney Road were extended, with another foor to house the composing room added to the rear of the factory and a pit dug to house the presses. Production of the newspaper continued during the extensions but there were many problems, some delaying production of the paper. The deep pit was subject to fooding. Although a pump was installed, it was often blocked by sand. A worker fell through the roof, narrowly missing the hot-metal pot. Major changes occurred in 1967 when a new management team initiated a vast rebuilding program that included a new press room, while the commercial printing department was moved to Brookvale. The development of both the peninsula and the Manly Daily continued unabated, requiring constant updating of The Daily’s printing and production technology. A new $750,000 press capable of printing an 80 page paper at 25,000 copies per hour was installed in 1978, and in 1981 it was extended to allow 112-page papers to be printed. By the end of the 1970s, the Manly Daily was an attractive business and Kerry Packer’s Consolidated Press Holdings Ltd bought it in 1979, adding it to its chain of NSW regional newspapers. In November 1985, the Herald & Weekly Times bought Packer’s regional papers and the Manly Daily, and in February 1987 Rupert Murdoch became the owner when he took over the HWT group. Murdoch added The Daily to his Cumberland subur- ban group in Sydney and after the issue of August 7, 1989, closed the Manly presses. Bob Wilson, the then editor, recalls the change with sadness: “Parent company Cumberland Newspapers had decided to consolidate all group printing at a fash new printing plant at its Parramatta headquar- ters, and that included the Manly opera- tion. Sorry, chaps, forget tradition, but that’s the way the bottom line is.” He soon missed the era when “news- paper offces rumbled and throbbed on publication days when the huge bank of presses in the basements gradually cranked up to paper-fying speed for their print runs”. The Manly Daily has since been printed either at Parramatta on the Cumberland presses or at various other print sites, includ- ing, since 2004, Rural Press’s MAN Uniset press at North Richmond. Murray White, editor of the Daily in 1984, said “many local papers were regarded as rags, but the Manly Daily has always had a fne reputation”. He regarded it as more a regional daily rather than a subur- ban newspaper. “We do try consciously to match the metropolitan dailies in standard.” Recent editors have included Steve Stickney (1995-2002) and Richard Bryce (2002-06), a Canadian who was deputy edi- tor, 1998-2002. Kathy Lipari, a journalist on Sydney’s Daily Telegraph for 13 years and recently the news editor, was appointed editor of the Manly Daily in September. Under Bryce’s editorship, The Daily under- went a major design overhaul, changing its masthead and format in May 2003. It published a 32-page liftout, with a series of historical articles on the paper, to mark the occasion. Bryce explained why changes had been made in the paper’s format. Simon Mel- lick, a 27-year veteran of metropolitan and regional journalism, designed the new look. Bryce said “saving Mona Vale Hospital, establishing Bear Cottage in Manly and the creation of Pittwater Council are just three achievements peninsula mayors say would not have been possible without the support of the Manly Daily”. Rod Kirkpatrick is a senior lecturer in Journalism at the University of Queensland. destined to grow Manly Daily managing director Tom Mead with NSW Governor Sir Roden Cutler, who is start- ing the new press in 1978.
November December 2006